The goals of the Psychology Department at Final International University is to train qualified psychology graduates by providing them with both theoretical and applied knowledge in the field of psychology; help students acquire research skills, gain knowledge and competences in areas such as developmental psychology, clinical psychology, health psychology, social psychology, industrial and organizational psychology, cognitive psychology, psychometrics, experimental psychology, etc.; foster the development of the skills and attitudes necessary to provide services within these competencies framework; encourage students to regularly engage in continuous self-development; become sensitive to individual and cultural differences; help exhibit leadership skills; become flexible with creative and critical thinking while working with individuals and groups from different segments in society; develop heightened level of sensitivity to educational and community problems; and acknowledge and uphold professional ethical principles in professional conduct.
FIU Learning Outcomes for Psychology Graduates
- Use concepts and terms associated with psychology accurately and associate them with professional conduct.
- Evaluate the structure, function, and relationship with the field of psychology of potential work areas for psychology graduates while they behave accordingly to the roles prescribed by their fields, duties and responsibilities, laws, regulations and other documentation.
- Be aware of the individual differences and difficulties between children and adults. Solve these differences and difficulties with scientific methods. Display skills and knowledge that will help develop supportive interventions for children both at home and at school.
- Use field knowledge and experiences in application, education, and learning activities while making interdisciplinary connections with the field of psychology.
- Know how to evaluate the physical, psychological, social and cultural needs of both individuals and families and use existing resources both in and outside of the school setting when needed.
- When evaluating the field of psychology, engage in applications, solve problems and determine the needs of clients, he/she will be able to work individually or in a group.
- Be aware of and keep track of the scientific research and technological developments, take advantage and make use of these applications.
- Demonstrate continuous effort for development and uses acquired knowledge and experiences in the field of psychology to reach future career goals.
- Use their native language effectively in both written and spoken form while being able to use a second language sufficiently to follow field literature and communicate with colleagues.
- Develop a positive attitude towards lifelong learning, change, innovation, creativity, critical thinking and inquiry.
- Develop a sense of community responsibility while being sensitive to the needs of others and uses this sense to contribute to society.
- Exhibit sensitivity towards cultural differences and diversity of social groups while taking an active role in social life.
- Develop an awareness of children’s rights and human rights, engages in ethical conduct in every type of work actualized, and engages in personal and institutional interactions to help develop and sustain a safe work and living environment.
- Effectively use the tools and equipment in education, application, and research to produce knowledge and analytical methods.